Thursday, October 07, 2004

Where's the Creativity?

I realized just how much I lack the ability to take a project, and just brainstorm viable ideas!! Today I met with an agent, and she gave me two logos to work on. I couldn't think of anything; I was just staring at my computer screen. So finally I went in to talk to Sam, because he said that I could come in and ask for help if I needed it. He looked at the few pieces of information that I had, sat there looking at the ceiling for like a minute, and then said OK! And just started sketching cool ideas all over the paper I brought in. And he was drawing with a pen too!! Geez. Where do you learn this stuff?

So I've decided that I'm going to definitely try to draw/sketch something everyday, as well as look at some sources for inspiration like my huge list of graphic designers' portfolios. There's all sorts of inspiration out there, I just need to pay attention and learn to record it.

Today was quite a crazy day. But then what day at Holland Realty isn't a crazy day? Pretty much only Mondays, sometimes. Today I "helped" Sam work on the Fall Collection of Homes ad (I sat behind him, occasionally saying, "that looks really good!" and "eh, maybe not that bright of an orange"). That took most of the morning. Then about noon I was like, well, I better get these reader ads sent in to the paper, doodoodoo... ACK! Technical difficulties! Who knew!! Murphy's Law strikes again! I just couldn't get the files to save right, and it took me till 1. Then I was meeting with the agent about the logos, so I went to lunch at about 1:15. I was hungry! I ate pretty fast, and then took like a 10 minute nap. It didn't really help, because when I got back was when I was just staring and unable to think. So then finally I asked Sam for help, and then worked on his cool ideas the rest of the afternoon!!

When I got home, I started working on a picture, using Illustrator. I use that all the time at work, so I need to learn how to use it pretty well. I think I'm really getting the hang of it!! The curves are the hard part... using the handles to get the curve just right. Ah well.

Hmmhmmhmm. What else to say? I'm going to Bruneau Sand Dunes tomorrow night to camp out... its gonna be cold!! But hopefully tons of my buddies will be there, including twins Max and Lennon! It'll be cool to see Lennon again. And then on Sunday they're going sky-diving. Yes, they are trying to convince me to go, but I don't feel like this is the time for me to do that. I don't feel like I REALLY want to go, I just can't see myself jumping out of a plane. Maybe I'll change my mind again. Who knows. Hehe. Aren't I such a girl?

Random note, my Graphic Design guild on Gaia is growing so fast! There are so many awesome people on it and I just love it. I could hang out on that site allllll day long. :D

I'm planning to update my website soon... I'm tired of the way it looks. Plus, I need to update my DeviantArt account so that there is actually some new work on there!!! Work that is newer than like 6 months old, at least. :P

If anyone who uses Blogger is reading this... how do I get a list of friends and links to show up on my front page? I've noticed a lot of people have that, and I would like to too. But I can't figure it out. Help!

And one last bit of humor. The funniest conversation happened today while I was sitting in Sam's office. The photographer Sam hired to take the photos for the expensive houses (Al) is a really cool guy, and apparently has a quick wit. He called Sam to figure out some billing issues, and he says "hi Sam" and Sam (knowing full well who it was) said "who's this?" and Al says "this is Fred Meyer" and so Sam says "hello Fred, what can I do for you?" and Al says "I just wanted to let you know that your bologna just came in..." and Sam just starts laughing... I thought it was kinda funny, but Sam was laughing so hard I couldn't help laughing harder and harder. It was great. Then on an email Al sent him, he wrote "thanks, your friend, Fred." What silliness. :D

OK OK. Its time to find a sketchbook, draw some things, and then crash. I'm so tired. Its impossible. I don't think I'll survive another day. *faint* Teehee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home